POETRY • FICTION • NONFICTION • FLASH FICTION
Now Accepting Submissions – Submit Now
November 29, 2018 — Submission Deadline (This deadline is final and will not be extended.)
- One First Place winner will receive the Sunshot Book Award.
- 10-20 manuscripts will be selected as finalists.
- All finalists are eligible for the Sunshot Book Prize.
- The First Place Sunshot Book Award, plus all Sunshot Book Prizes, will include the Sunshot rePRIZE.
- For full details visit the Prize page.
- Manuscript length. The length and number of individual poems or works within a manuscript is solely up to the author.
- Fiction: 12,500-55,000 words
- Nonfiction: 12,500-55,000 words
- Poetry: 50-80 pages (not including title page, TOC, etc)
- Anonymity. All manuscripts are read blind and judged anonymously, and therefore must not contain any identifying details. Dedications and/or acknowledgments should be removed from the manuscript and uploaded under "Additional Documents" on the submission form.
- Stress-free submitting. We, too, are only human. Minor grammatical or formatting mistakes will not negatively impact the judging of your manuscript. In the unlikely event we are unable to judge your manuscript, for any reason, we'll always contact you and try to resolve any issues.
Please review the full Guidelines before submitting.
November 29, 2018 — DEADLINE
POETRY • FICTION • FLASH FICTION • NONFICTION
$4,000 IN AWARDS + PUBLICATION (in print and online)
- First Place in each category receives a $1000 cash prize, a certificate to document the success, publication online and in print, in New Millennium Writings, and two complimentary copies.
- Select Finalists, and all Poetry Finalists, will be published in New Millennium Writings and receive two complimentary copies.
- No restrictions on style or subject matter.
- Entrant retains copyright ownership of work.
- Multiple and simultaneous submissions welcome.
- Previously published works accepted if: Print circulation was under 5,000, or the work was published online only.
- Fiction - 6,000 words or less
- Nonfiction (all types welcome) - 6,000 words or less
- Flash Fiction (aka: Short-Short Fiction) - 1,000 words or less
- Poetry - each entry may include three poems, up to five pages total.
- Anonymous Judging: Submission file should contain only the title and text of the story, essay, poem(s). Cover letters are optional and may be uploaded separately.
- For mail/postal submissions click here for instructions.
- Submit your work (or postmark) by November, 30 2018.
ENTRY FEES AND MULTIPLE ENTRY SUPPORT
For any category or combination of categories:
- 1 Entry - $20
- 2 Entries - $35 (reg $40)
- 3 Entries - $45 (reg $60)
- 4 Entries - $60 (reg $80)
- 5 Entries - $75 (reg $100)
Note: Poetry may include up to three poems per Entry.
AUGUST SUBMITTER BONUS: Choose "Add Sunshot Entry" when you submit your Contest 47 entry and you'll get $10 off submission to the 2nd annual Sunshot Book Awards. This contest awards book-length collections of poetry, fiction, and nonfiction. This bonus option cannot be refunded. Make the commitment and you will have until the September 30 deadline to upload your Sunshot collection. More info at sunshots.org.
“NMW allows writers to explore themes in any way they choose.”
“Fiction, poetry and nonfiction that will feed your soul”
“You were my first publication ever. I will never forget that, it kept me going for a long time…”
—Susan Tepper, Pulitzer Prize Nominee
“I cannot overestimate the immense value of winning the NMW award. I credit your magazine with giving me a second career as a writer.”
—J. L. Schneider (Award-winning author and two-time Pushcart Prize Nominee, Schneider has now received 17 First Place awards from a variety of publications.)
“Highly recommended. NMW is one of our favorite journals.”
—Winning Writers, winningwriters.com
“By the way, I really love NMW. The content is some of the most rockin’ awesome stuff that isn’t shy and crosses boundaries, pushes the envelope, winks at the nun – you know what I mean.”
—Shela Morrison, Gabriola Island, British Columbia